Dr. Gerungan Saul Samuel Yacob Ratulangi or Ratu Langie (5th November 1890 – 30th June 1949), usually known as Sam Ratulangi, was a Minahasa politician from North Sulawesi, Indonesia. Sam Ratulangi was born in Tondano, North Sulawesi, at the time a part of the Dutch East Indies. He graduated from a teacher’s college as a science teacher in 1915, studied for two more years at the University of Amsterdam, and in 1919 earned his Ph.D. at the University of Zurich, Switzerland.
On his return to Indonesia, he moved to Yogyakarta to teach science at a high school, and then moved on to Bandung to found the insurance company Assurantie Maatschappij Indonesia-the first known instance of the word “Indonesia” being used in an official document.
Appointed to the Volksraad (the Dutch East Indies’ parliament) in 1927, he continued to agitate for equal rights and was one of the founding members of the United Scholars of Indonesia (Vereniging van Indonesische Academici) in 1932. He continued to serve in the Volksraad until 1937 when he was arrested and jailed for several months due to his increasing political involvement. He then became the editor of Nationale Commentaren, a Dutch language news and issues magazine.
In early August 1945, he was appointed as one of the members of the Preparatory Committee on Indonesian Independence. After Soekarno’s unilateral declaration of independence on 16th August, he was thereafter appointed as the governor of Celebes (Sulawesi) in 22nd August. Arrested by the Dutch on 5th April 1946, he was exiled for three years to Serui on Yapen Island, Western New Guinea. Freed briefly in 23rd March 1948 and brought to Yogyakarta, he was captured again on 25th December 1948 when the Dutch occupied Yogyakarta. Due to his failing health, he was released again in Jakarta in February 1949 where he died on 30th June.
In August 1961, Ratulangi was posthumously awarded the title of National Independence Hero by Soekarno. Manado’s Sam Ratulangi Airport, the main thoroughfare Jalan Sam Ratulangi and the Sam Ratulangi University are all named after him.
Source: 11th October 2008 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Ratulangi
Choose the best answer the question below by crossing A, B, C, D or E!
- What is the real name of Sam Ratulangi?
- Dr. Gerungan Samuel Yacob Ratulangi
- Dr. Gerungan Saul Samuel Yacob Ratulangi
- Dr. Saul Samuel Yacob Ratulangi
- Dr. Gerungan Saul Samuel Ratulangi
- Dr. Gerungan Saul Samuel Yacob
- Where is Sam Ratulangi come from?
- Yapen Island
- North Sulawesi
- What did Sam Ratulangi in Yogyakarta?
- he found the insurance company Assurantie Maatschappij Indonesia
- he agitate for equal rights
- he arrested and jailed for several months
- he teach science at a high school
- he became the editor of Nationale Commentaren
- “. . . found the insurance companyAssurantie Maatschappij Indonesia . . .” (paragraph 2). The underlined word means . . .
- soul mate
- How long did Sam Ratulangi serve in the Volksraad?
- 8 years
- 9 years
- 10 years
- 11 years
- 12 years
- What was Nationale Commentaren?
- a Dutch language news and issues magazine
- a Dutch language news
- a Dutch issues magazine
- a Indonesian language news and issues magazine
- a Indonesian issues magazine
- When was Sam Ratulangi appointed the governor of Celebes?
- 5th November 1890
- 16th August 1945
- 22nd August 1945
- 5th April 1946
- 23rd March 1948
- “. . . he was captured again on 25th December 1948 when the Dutch occupiedYogyakarta.” (paragraph 4). The underlined words means . . .
- When was Sam Ratulangi posthumously awarded the title of National Independence Hero?
- June 1959
- July 1960
- August 1961
- September 1962
- October 1963
10. The named after Sam Ratulangi is for . . .
- airport, harbor, railway station
- island, street, river
- office, school, university
- airport, street, university
- town, village, province